Is Apple at it again?

You would ask how Apple could possibly expand their reach? They have already dominated the communication industry with the iTouch, iPhone, iPad. They even reached television with Apple TV. What could they do now other than improve what they already have?

Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, announced the existence of Apple’s next creation, the Apple Watch on Sep. 9. 2014 and the buzz has magnified with the date of its release. Apple is expected to launch pre-orders Apr. 10. and starting Apr. 24 the device will be available in stores. About 40-60% of iPhone customers are expected to purchase this new innovation as it is most useful to the owners of Apple products.

So what can the prospective consumer expect to gain from the next Apple invention? First off, the Apple Watch is the company’s first wearable device and Apple hopes it will allow users to experience technology at a different level. Additionally, the watch will connect with iPhone’s including the 5 and after so that people can receive incoming texts with a tap on their wrist and they can send texts, sketches, and also their recorded heartbeat. The watch will also be able to track daily activity and over time record progress to suggest better alternatives to exercising routines.

Although these features are great, without a supplementary Apple product the Apple Watch lingers towards the average watch with basic features such as telling the time and relaying one’s heart beat. In this sense, Apple is even further promoting the purchase of its products as people who desire to obtain the watch should buy another Apple product to fully take advantage of the watch.

Apple portrays its goal as a desire to become more personal and to expand the relationship between people and technology, but how far has it gone? People have become overly reliant on technology and as Apple comes out with a new technology almost annually, their sales go up as consumers obtain an upgrade. For example, when Apple releases the new and “improved” version of the iPhone most Apple consumers buy it to replace what they already had. When the iPhone 3G is compared to the 6 and 6 plus a vast difference can be seen, however, is there really an advantage in having the iPhone 6 over the 5s, asides from a bigger screen? Apple will keep coming out with these products but will people stop buying them? It will be up to the consumers to open their eyes to the possible trap Apple is laying.