Oakton track and field on the road to Penn Relays

Outdoor track is in full swing and the Oakton runners have made some impressive achievements. On Saturday, April 18, track and field attended an invitational meet at Lee Davis High School. The athletes left Oakton at 5:00 am and drove two and a half hours to Lee Davis. The meet was an invitational, meaning the track coaches select their top athletes to compete. “Our team did really well on Saturday,” said sophomore Casey Kendall. Kendall won her heat in the mile, running a 5:02. Numerous athletes beat their personal records at the meet. Junior Jill Bracaglia ran the two mile in 11:08, her personal best. Oakton runners Leya Salis, Allie Klimkiewicz, Kara Kendall, and Katie Mac Mayer came in 1st place in the 4X8. Overall, the Lee Davis Invitational was a success for Oakton.

A select amount of track and field athletes leave on Wednesday, April 22 for Penn Relays. Penn Relays is the oldest and largest track and field competition in the United States, hosted annually since April 21, 1895 by the University of Pennslyvania. It regularly attracts more than 15,000 participants from high schools, colleges, and clubs throughout the United States and abroad. It is held during the last full week in April, ending on the last Saturday in April.  Roughly 20 Oakton runners will be competing at Penn Relays. We wish them well as they represent Oakton.