Boxing’s biggest mashup

Boxings biggest mashup

It was labeled the Fight of the Century and the fight that people have been waiting for; Floyd Mayweather Jr. versus Manny Pacquiao. In what was considered the highest-grossing match in boxing history, Mayweather, the 38-year-old with the unblemished professional boxing record, beat Pacquiao for the welterweight world championship with a unanimous decision.

Although being criticized for his lavish lifestyle and outbursts of domestic violence, Floyd Mayweather was constantly able to frustrate his opponents. The babyfaced Philippine and the “next best fighter of the generation” Manny Pacquiao presented Mayweather with a peculiar test. However, it was Mayweather who would leave the ring with the world championship title, and got much richer along the way.

Financially, both men were winners. The fight itself cost American households $90 to watch and grossed approximately $300 million which Mayweather, under a contract, was entitled 60% of, win or lose. The few tickets made available to the public were priced anywhere from $1500 to $7000, not including the tickets sold on secondary markets for up to $40000.

While Pacquiao carried momentum in the early round of the match, the spectators showed their opinion about how Mayweather was the overall winner of the fight, and the judges unanimously agreed.

So whats next for Mayweather? Under contract, he will fight an undetermined opponent sometime in September, where afterwards, he has been speculated to retire. And don’t worry about Pacquiao, who earned the remaining 40% of the earning from the fight. The result will do little to extinguish Pacquiao’s popularity, especially in the Philippines, where he is a singer, professional basketball player, congressman and future presidential prospect.