Bad news for “Game of Thrones” fans: Book Six will not be released in 2015

Season Five of “Game of Thrones” is well underway, continuing to chart the events of Westeros and the stories of the (surviving) nobles of the Seven Kingdoms. With each shocking turn and gruesome death, the HBO series continues to rack  up viewers and critical acclaim. However, fans of the book may be worried about the next season.

Season Five covers the events of Book Five, “Dance of Dragons,” of “Game of Thrones,” or, as the equivalent book series is called, “A Song of Ice and Fire.” Of course, this brings up an obvious problem. “Dance of Dragons” is at the moment, the last book out in the series. Season Six won’t have anything left to adapt, and, given the time it takes for him to write his books, that seems unlikely to change anytime soon. In fact, Harper-Collins, the publishers of “Game of Thrones,” has officially confirmed that “Winds of Winter,” the next book in the series, will officially not be released in 2015.

All hope isn’t lost: George R. R. Martin has apparently told the HBO series’ showrunners a broad overview of what will happen in the rest of the series, and, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, he said he will be concentrating on writing for the immediate future and avoiding working on the HBO show. Nonetheless, it appears that fans of the books will be getting some spoilers once Season Six rolls around next year.