The Legacy of a King

In every professional sport, it is common practice to discuss who the “GOAT,” or “Greatest of All Time” is. With the exception of hockey and its respective great, Wayne Gretzky, there is no clear answer in any sport. In these discussions, the question of era is always an issue. After all, these games evolve with each passing year, so how can fans possibly compare a legend from the ’60s with a superstar from today? It certainly seems impossible to reach a clear conclusion unless the answer is as obvious as Gretzky.

Men’s basketball is no exception to this rule. At the moment, the 2015 NBA Finals are underway, pitting the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors against each other for a shot at the championship. On paper, this series should belong to the Warriors. Thanks to a myriad of injuries to key players, the Cavaliers are playing at less than full strength. Because of this, Golden State has a more talented, deeper roster and according to NBA experts, has the coaching edge as well. The Warriors have a three to two lead in the series and only need one more win to become champions, while the Cavaliers need to win two straight games, something very few teams are able to accomplish in a best-of-seven series. However, Cleveland’s best player is LeBron James, who is unquestionably the best overall player in the league right now. James is considered a contender for the title of NBA GOAT, and although his performance in this series has been nothing short of phenomenal with four 40-point games, a Cavalier loss would drastically hurt his case. GOATs are judged heavily by their playoff success and with a Cleveland loss, James would be two for six in NBA Finals. Quite simply, these are not GOAT numbers. To most fans, it would not matter how well James has played or how impressive his leadership has been if he does not win championships. The legendary Michael Jordan won six NBA championships; he never lost, shouldn’t that make him better, more “clutch” than James? On the other hand, if the Cavaliers pull off the comeback and win this series in seven games, it would speak volumes for James. He would be recognized for not only his stellar performances throughout the Finals but also for his ability to keep this team together, through all of the injuries and against an outstanding opponent. Although an obvious NBA GOAT will likely never be crowned, the 2015 NBA Finals will help determine whether King LeBron James is the Greatest of All Time or just a goat.