New York prisoners still on the loose

New York prisoners still on the loose

Recently, two men pulled off a climactic escape from a New York prison at the  Clinton Correctional Facility using paper-mâché dummies, steam pipe, and a provoking note left for law enforcement. Richard Matt, 48, and David Sweat, 34, escaped about a week ago.The manhunt for both men has still been going on now for six days. Matt and Sweat have broken the record on the longest time someone has escaped from a New York prison.  Both of the men were placed in cells that were adjoining. Matt and Sweat worked in the prison’s tailor shop, where they stitched uniforms.

Joyce Mitchell, who may have interacted with the men may have helped them escape. Mitchell, 51, had worked as an administrator technical supervisor in the prison’s tailor shop for seven years. There is no proof, however, that Mitchell might have helped the two men escape she has been the focus of the investigation. Investigators have stated that Mitchell’s phone was used to communicate with the men. Sources say that Mitchell played the role of being the getaway driver as part of the plan for the men, but she didn’t pull through.

Mitchell did not only help Matt and Sweat with the escape plan but she also provided them with equipment. It is said that she had given the inmates with drill bits, two pairs of lighted eyeglasses and hacksaw blades. At the end of the investigation, Mitchell was charged with first-degree promoting prison contraband, a class-D felony, and fourth-degree criminal facilitation, a class-A misdemeanor. Proof of Mitchell being guilty could send her to jail for up to seven years.

Mitchell’s husband Lyle was suspected in helping his wife help the two men escape from the Big House in Dannemora, New York. Lyle Mitchell has not been arrested yet due to lack of proof. The fast-paced investigation is still carrying on with a large amount of cops spending their seventh day searching for Richard Matt and David Sweat, around Saranac, New York.