Oakton vs. Chantilly Recap 2015

Players set in position before the snap at the game.

On Friday, Oct. 16, 2015, the Oakton Varsity Football team traveled to Chantilly High School to beat the Chargers. Throughout the game, there were many glimmering moments of hope for the Cougars, and a few times of disappointment leading up to the fall of the Oakton Cougars, with a score of 28-6.

Oakton was the first to score with a field goal with roughly four minutes left in the first quarter. A few minutes later, the Cougars fumbled the ball, which was recovered by Chantilly with one minute left in the quarter.

The score didn’t remain 3-0 for long. The Chargers ran in the football for a touchdown within the first one to two minutes of the second quarter. Chantilly’s extra point was good, with the Chargers now leading the Cougars 7-3. Oakton wasn’t able to lead Chantilly again throughout the rest of the game after this score. With five minutes remaining until halftime, the Chargers scored another touchdown, running the score up to 14-3. Four minutes after Chantilly’s second touchdown, Oakton kicked a field goal, which was the last score before halftime.

Third quarter was terrifying for the Cougars. Not only were they unable to score, but the Chargers were able to score twice on Oakton, resulting in another 14 points. The first Chantilly score was a pass that occurred with 11 minutes left in the quarter. Five minutes later, when the Cougars had the ball, Chantilly intercepted the pass and turned it into a touchdown with three minutes to spare in the third quarter.

Fourth quarter was not extremely eventful. Both teams were well prevented from the red zone by the defensive line, so neither team was able to score.

The Varsity team’s next game is tomorrow at Broad Run High School at 7 pm.