From Skip Bromley to JFK

Oakton student performs with the National Symphony Orchestra through the Youth Fellowship Program

It didn’t take Xander Day very long to realize that his family’s violin legacy just wasn’t for him. He hated playing the violin “not as an instrument; it just wasn’t very fun for [him].” However, Day’s grandmother was a flutist, and though she doesn’t perform anymore, she offered to teach him. He took her up on that offer for nine years, and still admits that his grandmother was his strongest draw to the flute. “She offered, and she was there, so I was like, hey. Flute,” said Day.

What’s your favorite piece/composer and why?
Xander Day: My favorite piece is “Daphnis et Chloe” by Ravel, mostly because it’s the biggest flute piece in orchestra repertoire. It’s really difficult, and just amazing in general, but my favorite composer is Mahler because he likes to go to extremes — for example, using more than one piccolo. He also likes big triple forte moments where everyone’s playing.
Flute or piccolo?
XD: I really love them both. Sometimes I think I like one more, but then I play the other one, and start liking that one more…
How did you get involved with the NSO?
XD: I was auditioning for my youth orchestra, and my proctor was the flutist before me. We got talking, and it turned out she was a member of the NSO, and she mentioned the fellowship program. I thought it sounded cool, so I auditioned and got in.
What exactly is the fellowship program? What do you do?
XD: The program is for young talented musicians from 6th-12th grade. It’s for all orchestral instruments, but no piano, saxophone, etc.
The biggest thing is the scholarship [private] lessons with members of the NSO, so my private teacher is the principal flute.
We’re also put into chamber groups coached by members of the NSO; I’m part of a woodwind quintet coached by the principal oboist. We also get to watch eleven to twelve dress rehearsals, and get free tickets to the concerts. But, my favorite part is that three times a year, we get to do side-by-side concerts where we perform with the NSO on stage, with NSO musicians and the NSO conductor.
What is a typical rehearsal like?
XD: Rehearsals are sometimes twice a month during school on Thursday, sometimes more depending on the schedule. One week, we had rehearsal [six days in a row], but it’s usually Thursday in the middle of the month. We watch their rehearsals, then have our chamber rehearsals.
What’s the best/worst part so far?
XD: The best part is getting to listen to the group on a weekly basis. I really learn a lot, and I get to sit in the box seats so we can actually see the musicians. I can see my teacher and the other woodwind players I’m supposed to be watching for, and I learn a lot more from that ensemble-wise than actually playing in my ensemble. The worst part is that I miss school and I have to catch up.
When is the next performance, so we can see you perform?
XD: Probably the best one to come see is the youth fellow chamber groups, which play on stage at the Kennedy Center at the end of January and in the middle of May.
What does being part of the fellowship program mean to you?
XD: Being part of the fellowship program has helped me to start moving faster at achieving my goals of becoming a professional musician… I’m really grateful for it, and without it I don’t know where I would be.