No more “eenie-meenie-miney-moe”

Important things every voter should know about the upcoming school board election

Stress in schools

What is the issue? In a fact sheet released by Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), 32% of students reported having depression-like symptoms. Many mental health issues arise due to stress caused by many school related factors. This stress has been an issue debated within FCPS for many years.

What are the candidates responses? House of Delegates candidate Jennifer Boysko wants to address the mental health issue in Fairfax County. The resources to address the issue come from the results of the survey. School Board candidate for the Sully District, Karen Keys-Gamara wants to help save the arts within schools so there can diversification in students’ schedules.

Why should this matter to voters? The different Government bodies who are deciding how to address the mental health issue should know how the public feels about different solutions. This is done best by how voters vote on November 3rd.

Ryan McElveen

-Youngest elected member of the school board at age 25
-Graduated George C. Marshall High School, University of Virginia, and Columbia University
-Chief administrator at Brookings Institute’s John L. Thornton China Center
-Has served on the school board since 2012
-Voted in favor of teaching students about trans/identity issues
-Pushed for diversity in FCPS
-Democrat
-Endorsements include the Washington Post, Fairfax County Federation of Teachers, and Fairfax Education Association

Budget Deficit

What is the issue? In the proposed budget for the 2016-2017 school year, there is the possibility of a 30 million to 100 million dollar deficit. With the proposed cuts from a task force are the recently implemented school start times and sport teams.

What are the candidates responses? At-Large School Board member Ryan McElveen wants to continue on with the new start times because he believes them to be effective. Science has show that the new start times are actually improving students mental health.

Why should this matter to voters? These cuts, if significant, would cut many popular programs in schools. If voters want to have their voice hear on how they want to respond to these deficits, their vote will do just that. They can also propose a different budget using the budget tool on the FCPS home page.

Ilryong Moon

-Immigrated to US in 1974 from Korea
-Graduated TC Williams, Harvard University, and William & Mary Law School
-Partner at Moon, Park & Associates law firm
-Both children graduated from FCPS
-Has served on the FCPS school board for 16 years
-Voted in favor of transgender curriculum
-Democrat
-Has many endorsements, including the Washington Post, Mark Warner, and Gerry Connelly

Teacher Pay

What is the issue? Last school year, the school board
approved an amendment that increased their salary from $75,000 to $95,000. This is compared to the fact that teachers still have the second lowest salaries, according to the Washington Bureau of Education.

What are the candidates responses? At-Large School Board member Ted Velkoff believes the salary increase was necessary for school board members be able to live in this area. Board of Supervisors candidate John Guevara
believes the school board should put teachers before themselves.

Why should this matter to voters? Teachers in Fairfax County are leaving the system to go work at school systems that pays more money. This is
because the cost to live in this area is high and the salaries are
making it difficult to live here.

Ted Velkoff

-Graduated University of Cincinnati and Indiana University with degrees in music, conducting, and computer science
-Software editor for IntegrityOne Partners
-Two children have graduated FCPS
-Former PTA President at Chantilly HS
-Has served on school board since 2011
-Voted in favor of including transgender issues in health curriculum
-Democrat
-Endorsements include the Washington Post, Chap Peterson, and John Foust