Oakton Chorus Revives Acapella Groups

Popularized by TV shows and Films such as “Glee’ and “Pitch Perfect”, acapella has become a sensation in pop culture as well as a staple in school choral programs. Oakton is no exception, flaunting talented boy’s and girl’s acapella groups up until two years ago when boy’s acapella ended, and last year when students were devastated to learn about the discontinuation of the girl’s acapella group. However, after a short hiatus, Oakton Chorus has revived these groups forming the boy’s group “The Oakton Accents” and the girl’s group “The Oakton Actaves” who perform at most chorus events including Cougar Cabaret and the program’s spring concert.

Being student run, starting an acapella group is no easy feat. First, you need members, and for that, you need auditions. Held at the end of last year and again this year, tons of chorus students auditioned for a spot in the musical groups, but what does it take to be a part of Oakton Acapella? “I look for people with a good attitude and an interest in the group who also have enough musical background so that they will be able to handle the difficulty of the music,” student director Marisa Butler states. Then, once the group is formed, a song needs to be chosen for their performances. “I consider first and foremost how we will sound. I want to make sure it’s the right style,” Butler explains, “I try to choose something that most of the group will like, but I know I can’t please everyone; I try to vary the genres too.” Finally, the group is ready to get to work. Both the girl’s and boy’s groups typically meet after school or during cougar times, but also do a lot of preparation individually, using sheet music and practice tracks sent out by the directors.

So, as you can see, acapella groups are as hardworking as they are fun to watch, so take time to see “The Actaves” and “The Accents” perform at the Oakton Chorus winter concert and many other chorus events planned this year.