November Nights: Grease Homecoming 2015

This past week at Oakton, a second spirit week was organized by Leadership that led up to the homecoming dance on Nov. 7, 2015.  The spirit week consisted of three days, as Monday and Tuesday were teacher workdays  because of the end of the first quarter.  The three spirit days were Cougar Zoo on Wednesday, Four Seasons on Thursday, and Class Colors on Friday.

For Cougar Zoo, students dressed up as their favorite animal, for example, a zebra.  Thursday was Four Seasons day.  To participate in this spirit day, the students would dress in the season assigned to their class.  Freshmen were spring; sophomores were fall; juniors were winter; and seniors were summer.  The last spirit day was Class Colors day on Friday.  This spirit day is self explanatory, but each class, class of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, were given different colors to wear.  Freshmen wore black; sophomores wore white; juniors wore gold; and seniors wore burgundy.

The spirit week, as they always do, led up to the homecoming dance, which was held in the gym on November 7.  The dance was originally scheduled for October 3, but with the hurricane, Joaquin, the school postponed the dance to the first week of November.  The theme of the homecoming dance this year was Grease.  The gym lobby was decorated with paper milkshakes on a black background.  There were also cardboard cutouts of cars with candy inside them with the tables of water bottles for the students.  When first walking into the gym lobby, there was a white screen with a picture of Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) from the movie.  The decorations were appropriate for the theme, and were well done for the event.  In the gym, there was a DJ and music that people gathered around and danced to.  There were also many lights that shone throughout the gym.  The dance was very delightful, and many students had a great time dancing around with their friends in the gym and getting to talk and take pictures in the gym lobby and main hallway.

In conclusion, spirit week and homecoming were successful.  Leadership did a great job of planning the events due to the rescheduling for all homecoming festivities.