Self-Balancing Scooters emerge as one of season’s most popular gifts

This year a new product has taken America by storm and has consumers’ complete attention. It has been dubbed many names including “monorover” and “Io hawk.” Who would have thought that a two-wheeled self-balancing scooter that contains a motor could become so popular in such a short time period? Online, there are many different sites that sell essentially the same board, all under different names. The price varies because some can go faster and hold more weight then others. Just recently these self-balancing scooters have begun selling at mall kiosks and inside other stores. Modell’s is one of these stores and offers them both online and in store for a price of $399.99. Their version is called the “swagway” and has been a huge success and has sold very well.

While the public’s response to these scooters has been overwhelmingly positive, there were negative reactions as well. Recently, the city of New York declared them to be illegal, arguing that the boards can endanger pedestrians and are unsafe in general. If one is ridden on the street and the rider is caught, they will be subject to a $200 fine. This law has upset many in New York, and takes away a fun source of entertainment.

With the holidays coming up, sales of these boards should skyrocket. The scooter is the perfect gift to give a teenager or a young adult. It is very easy to control, and easy to learn as well. It is also the perfect price for a nice holiday gift and can also be used as a means of transportation where it is legal. Overall they are extremely fun to ride and are an extremely popular product.