Snowzilla: How to drive safely

As our “snowzilla” traps us in our homes, one of the largest reasons for schools to close is the potential for students to get into car accidents considering the fact that we are all inexperienced drivers. Even if you have been driving for over a year, there is still too much risk for serious accidents to occur. The best advice out there is to simply stay home and do not attempt to leave. However, if you absolutely must leave your house, here are a few key things to keep in mind.

• Drive under the speed limit no matter what the road looks like. Even if you see pavement, it is very likely that the ground is frozen and coated in ice.
  • If you don’t have a four wheel drive vehicle do not go on covered roads.
  • Bring a sufficient snow shovel with you in the case that you get stuck.
  • Pack water, extra clothes, food, blanket, and the normal emergency items you pack in your car for your everyday drive.
  • Clear the area around the windshield wiper fluid opening, otherwise it will freeze and be useless.
  • Fill your gas before it snows, if you are low on gas the fuel lines will freeze and prevent your car from starting.
  • Always put your parking brake on whenever you are parking somewhere.
  • Turn your headlights on at all times.
  • Stay alert and keep your distance from all other cars. Three car lengths should be enough on main roads, however you should give more room on unplowed back roads.
  • Check your tire pressure before you drive anywhere as cold temperatures cause permeation.
  • Sand gives much more traction than salt so stock up on a few bags for emergency situations.