High School Musical celebrates 10 years

High School Musical celebrates 10 years

High School Musical attracted a fan base of millions of young children, now adults, and became the movie of a generation. The movie won several awards, including two Emmys and three Teen Choice Awards. The success of the movie sparked two sequel movies, a concert, and a newfound interest in musicals. More importantly, it gave girls around the world a new heart throb, Troy Bolton. Now, 10 years after the movie’s Jan. 20, 2006 premiere date, the cast is back to celebrate one decade of memories, musicals, and wildcat fun.

The movie begins when basketball star Troy Bolton meets shy “whiz kid” Gabriella Montez at a New Year’s Eve party and is immediately intrigued by her after singing a karaoke duet with her. The two reunite when Gabriella transfers to East High, where Troy is a popular basketball captain for the East High Wildcats. The two face many obstacles when they come to terms with their passion for musical theater and break the “status quo.”

To celebrate the success of the movie, five of the stars came back to reminisce over their time as a wild cat. Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, and Monique Coleman got together on January 20 to discuss memories during Disney’s special showing of High School Musical. During the commercial breaks, the cast laughed about behind the scenes clips and stories. Coleman even had a special gift for the rest of the cast, their original casting tapes from 2005, taking viewers way back into their younger days. The cast was quite excited to see these tapes and themselves from so long ago. One of the best tapes had to be of “Queen Bee” Sharpay Evans, played by Ashley Tisdale, devising a plan with her side kick brother Ryan, played by Lucas Grabeel. Tisdale had fully achieved the sass of Sharpay before the filming had even begun. Tisdale had no problem demonstrating this while ordering around her on-screen brother. Grabeel noted that off-screen she even had the nerve to give him notes on what to do better. Tisdale replied by saying “I embraced the character!”

Another surprise came when Tisdale surprised Corbin Blue, who played basketball jock and best friend of Troy, Chad Danforth, with a framed wildcats jersey, the exact one he wore in the movie. Bleu remarks that he remembers specifically choosing number 8 and it has been his favorite number ever since.

The only disappointment of the reunion was that teen heart throb Zac Efron, who plays lead role Troy Bolton, was not present. There was much speculation over why he wasn’t there, such as not wanting to meet back up with ex-girlfriend, Vanessa Hudgens. There is also the more realistic reason that he is currently filming a movie and couldn’t attend the reunion. No matter what the reason is, Zac Efron made sure to have a pre-recorded message to the viewers in which he said “Hey guys, I’m so sorry that I couldn’t be there in person but I’m with you all in spirit.” Good to see our favorite High School Musical boy still keeps it classy