Changing of the guard

Changing of the guard

The Super Bowl is the most televised annual event in American history. From diehard football fans to those who couldn’t care less, the Super Bowl has a little something for everyone, whether it be the actual game or the esteemed commercials. This year’s Super Bowl marks the 50th anniversary of the very first Super Bowl. The National Football League has marked that fact throughout the entire football season, most notably through gold-painted 50 yard markers on each team’s field. However, in addition to the standard Lombardi Trophy which is awarded to each season’s Super Bowl champion, this year’s champion, Denver Broncos received an additional prize: a gold trophy in the shape of the number 50.

In Super Bowl 50, the NFC is represented by the 17-1 Carolina Panthers, led by electrifying young quarterback Cam Newton. With the nickname “Superman,” Newton is the embodiment of the new generation of the NFL. Standing at six feet six inches and weighing an impressive 245 pounds, Newton is a tank of a football player and a behemoth of a quarterback. His size allows him to run the football with the strength and resiliency of a running back, forcing opposing defenses to respect his size and speed while fearing his cannon of an arm. Cam Newton is a prototype, he is a football mad scientist’s ideal creation. In addition to his unique talent, Newton is also a joy to watch because he does something different out on the field. He has fun. Newton’s passion for the game of football is evident and no sane man would question his work ethic. Yet, Newton has popularized “dabbing,” in addition to a myriad of other dance moves. After every touchdown he scores, Newton seeks out a kid in the stands and hands the game ball to him or her. As the 2015-2016 season’s MVP, Newton looks to be a leader of the next generation of NFL weapons, a player that opposing teams will dread playing for years to come. Unfortunate for this rising star, his team lost to the Broncos 24-10. During a press conference he was visibly upset about the loss, giving short answers and at some point walking out of the press conference.

On the other side, in the AFC, lie the Denver Broncos. Denver possesses a potent, aggressive, and terrifying defense. And yet, despite being the top defensive team in the league, this Super Bowl’s storyline is not the top defense (Denver) versus the top offense (Carolina). Rather, it is a story of old versus new, a battle of two quarterbacks. Under center for the Denver Broncos sits the inevitable first ballot Hall of Famer, legendary quarterback Peyton Manning. Nicknamed “The Sheriff,” Manning’s legacy speaks for itself; he is a five-time NFL MVP, fourteen-time Pro Bowler, seven-time All-Pro, and a Super Bowl Champion. Drafted in 1998, Manning has been a face of the NFL for eighteen years now. However, given his underwhelming stats and injury-plagued season, many have speculated that this was The Sheriff’s last ride. If the rumors are true, if Super Bowl 50 truly is Manning’s last NFL game, then fans are gifted with a reality that could make Hollywood executives froth with envy: old versus new. Tested legend versus fresh upstart. In the end though, tested won.