The Super Bowl is not always about the game

Super Bowl Sunday means preparing in different ways. For some it meant researching the statistics for their favorite players on the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos. Others may have prefered to try and find sneak peeks for the commercials. And for the rest, it’s time to get in the kitchen and start making snacks for the game. Heading to a party or watching the game at home, either way having the right food at the ready is a must.

For those who have no idea what to make, or want better ideas for next year, here a few:

Super Bowl Football Stadium:

What you need:

• Guacamole
  • Hummus
  • Salsa
  • Sour cream
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Chips
  • Bread

Using a disposable tin 13×9 pan, create the three sections of the field using hummus, guacamole, and salsa (or whatever dips you choose). Feel free to create the lines on the field with sour cream. Add vegetables like carrots and celery and other dippers such as bread and chips.

Fruit Football Helmet:

What you need:

• Watermelon
  • Any fruit for fruit salad (such as pineapple, grapes, strawberries)

Slice off bottom of watermelon about 4 inches from bottom at an angle. Use the bottom part to create the “mouth guard” by cutting out grid design with a small knife. Using the larger part of the watermelon, cut out the “face of the helmet” and hollow out the melon. Decorate the sides by drawing the two teams playing in the game, or however you feel inspired. Fill the helmet with fruit salad and surround the helmet with remaining fruit salad.

Football Brownies:

What you need:

• Brownies
  • Dark chocolate
  • White chocolate

Make and cook brownies by using store bought mix or (be adventurous!) try homemade brownies.

Recipe from allrecipes.com:

• ½ c white sugar
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 1 ½ c semisweet cholate chips
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 2/3 c all-purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease an 8×8 inch square pan. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, and water. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 min.

Once the brownies are out of the oven, use a football cookie cutter (or be resourceful and make a football cookie cutter) to shape the brownies while still warm. Melt dark chocolate and dip the top of each brownie to have a thin chocolate coating. While this is setting up melt the white chocolate and put in a zip lock bag. Cut off a corner to make a piping bag, and make the lines on the brownie “footballs”. Enjoy!