Winners from the 25th Annual MTV Movie Awards

On April 9, 2016, the 25th annual MTV Movie Awards were held at Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California. In the past, the award show has taken place at a variety of locations, including Walt Disney World Studios and Sony Picture Studios. Every year, the nominees are chosen by producers and executives at MTV, and then the public can cast their vote on who they think should win in each category. Every winner is given a “golden popcorn” statue. The award show has a variety of categories. These include very traditional categories, such as best female and male performance., and also some unique categories, including best hero, best villain, and best fight. Jim Carrey currently has the record for the most awards, with a total of 11 throughout the years.

This year, around 3.5 million viewers tuned in to watch the show. Compared to last year, there was a growth in viewership by 54 percent. Kevin Hart and The Rock co-hosted the event. At this year’s show, it was evident that popular movies were winning over quality movies that would have won at the Oscars. Star Wars: The Force Awakens won movie of the year, which is not a surprise after it topped the box office when it first released back in December. Straight out of Compton as took home an award in the “True Story” category.

Melissa McCarthy was the first woman to win the Comedic Genius Award, for her role in her new movie, The Boss. She gave an inspiring acceptance speech, about how the may be the first woman to win, but she is not the first woman to deserve the award in this category. She mentioned some comedic women in her speech, such as Whoopi Goldberg and Jane Curtin.

Some other notable winners from the event include Leonardo DiCaprio for Best Male Performance in The Revenant, Chris Pratt for Best Action Performance in Jurassic World, and Amy Poehler for Best Virtual Performance in Inside Out. Will Smith also accepted the Generation Award. This award was introduced in 2005, and is given to one actor or actress every year. Previous winners include Reese Witherspoon, Jamie Foxx, and Robert Downey, Jr.