A farewell to Robin Williams

Getty Images

Some knew him as Professor Brainard, some called him Genie, and some recognized him as Mrs. Doubtfire, or Mr. Keating, or better yet ‘my Captain’. With the loss of these iconic identities, it is inconceivable that the world really only lost one man this summer. Nevertheless, the suicide of actor and comedian Robin Williams on August 11, 2014 was a death that left the world in shock and grief.

Making his début as a buoyant alien in Mork & Mindy in 1978, Williams set the stage for the rest of his comedic career for years to come. He won our hearts in Mrs. Doubtfire and became our best friend as the eccentric Genie in Aladdin. He didn’t just teach a literary class at an all-boys prep school, but an entire cinematic audience, about individuality and the dangers of conformity in his role as Mr. Keating in the Dead Poets Society. From his goofy portrayal of an absent-minded professor in the movie Flubber, to the more touching Sean McGuire in Good Will Hunting, as well as many other films and performances that lifted our hearts and made us cry, the hilarity that was Robin Williams brightened the world with his comedic genius.

Fellow celebrities and coworkers describe Williams as a “tour de force”, leaving everyone he met in a trail of tears of laughter with his uncanny impersonations and exuberant nature. Family, friends and fans alike were heartbroken to find that a man who could fill strangers with so much light and positivity was struggling to find that mirth in himself. For years, even with his successful career, Williams battled depression and substance abuse derived from the pressures of his earlier days in stand-up comedy. The actor rechecked himself into a rehabilitation center in July of this summer before taking his life last week.

Depression is an illness that comes from within; it is a disease that is not solely correlated with the environment and circumstances that a person lives in, no matter how seemingly negative or, in Williams’ case, positive they may be. The image the world had of Robin Williams, one of a jubilant man with a loving family and wealthy lifestyle, was shattered (along with the hearts of his fans) with the news of his passing and his own unhappiness that had caused it.

If the millions of doting fans alone don’t pay tribute to Williams’ unbridled talent, then the endless Academy Awards, Golden Globes, Emmy’s and Grammy’s he won should. There is one thing that the nation can agree on wholeheartedly and that is that Robin Williams was a one of a kind. Though the world may never have the pleasure of experiencing the amazement that was Williams again, it is quite a fortune that we can do so through some of our favorite old movies. So, Mr. Williams, Mork, Genie, President Roosevelt, D.J. Adrian Cronauer, Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire, O’ Captain My Captain, thank you; we will miss you.

If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.