The pride of Broadway

The Broadway musical “Disney’s the Lion King” took the DMV area by storm the entire duration of its stay, from June 17 through Aug. 17 at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C.

Based on the animated Disney movie, this musical is familiar to most audience members, although there are a few differences that keep the musical new and exciting. For example, beloved character Rafiki, portrayed as a male baboon in the movie, was brought to life by actress Tshidi Manye who did a phenomenal, and oftentimes hilarious job. However, the spotlight was on Jelani Remy, who played main character adult Simba flawlessly. His strong voice and graceful movement truly enhanced the production.

“Disney’s the Lion King” boasts a rich, African themed soundtrack, including familiar songs from the animated Disney movie version of “The Lion King” like “Circle of Life” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” as well as several original songs, like “He Lives in You”. The tribal beat heavy soundtrack sets the mood for this lively and powerful musical.

Not to be overlooked, the costumes were detailed and beautiful, from the main characters’ costumes down to even those of the actors who portrayed the scenery. Oftentimes, the clothing took on a distinctively tribal aspect that enhanced the scenes by adding color as well as bolstering the movement of the actors.

With tickets ranging from just $40 to $195, the play was well worth the cost.

Although “Disney’s the Lion King” is no longer playing in Washington D.C. the future tour dates are posted on the official website, with links to buy tickets. The Kennedy Center is also currently hosting and scheduled to host many other musicals, recitals, and more in the near future.