The “New Classic” rapper

Iggy Azalea, 23 year old Australian rapper, suddenly jumped to the top of the charts. A virtually unknown artist, and even rarer, a female rapper, she had put out several small EPs before her big release of “New Classic,” which had delayed several months. Her newest official album, “The New Classic,” has all her signature rap key notes. With strong beats, like in the songs “Work,” and “Black Widow,” featuring Rita Ora, these songs are jams that make anyone’s head bob to the electronic notes. Typical to any rap album, many of her songs feature other artists as Azalea herself does not sing in her songs, while she does do some background vocals. Songs feature T.I., Rita Ora, and Mavado showcase her new and different rapping style rather than overpowering her voice. Each song has it’s own quirks that Azalea adds, such as her chuckles in between verses and unedited recordings of “Bounce.” Much of the album is Azalea’s rants against former lovers, which may be unattractive to some listeners. However, her rap talent, the irresistible beats, and her musical allure make it very much worthwhile.

Songs to note: firstly, her debut song “Fancy” featuring Charlie XCX, which hit the U.S. Billboard Top 100 in the top forty. If you are interested, her music video is a remake of the movie “Clueless,” and has attracted the majority of her new fans. Her second biggest song is “Work,” with a catchy chorus and a dance beat that would shake floors. All of her songs are marked as explicit, which may be a warning for listeners who do not enjoy that kind of music. All in all, Iggy Azalea is moving up and her group of fans are affectionately catching on. She will be at the Fillmore in Silverspring on May 18 as a part of her “New Classic” tour.