Metro Meet-ups

Top: Courtesy of Hunter Carrico Bottom: Courtesy of Susan Silva

Once a month, the Oakton photo and art  clubs go on a field trip to Washington, D.C. called “metro meet-ups”. The students meet at the Vienna metro on a Saturday to ride to D.C. together. They decide where they want to go beforehand, usually going when there is an event occurring, such as the Cherry Blossom festival. When they arrive in DC, the clubs walk around to take pictures of monuments or go to a museum. The clubs have gone on one trip and plan to go on many more. Sophomore, Hunter Carrico finds the trips to DC very beneficial.
“The trips are a great source of inspiration and ideas for taking pictures in the future. There are lots of photo ops,” said Carrico. Junior Zack Lucas’ favorite part of the meet-ups is the freedom they have to walk around and explore DC.
“I love how they are student-oriented. We decide where we want to go and what we want to see,” said Lucas. Oakton Alumni, Kirsten Hemrich remembers the metro meet-ups as one of her favorite parts of photo club when she was a student.
“[The meet-ups] were one of the best parts of photo club. They helped me get to know the rest of the club really well,” said Hemrich.
Instead of going to DC for the month of October, the photo club went to Cox Farms to enjoy the fall scenery.
“I’m excited to go on more meet-ups later this year,” Carrico adds.