10 points for Gryffindor

Emma Watson, known most famously for her role as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series, was recently casted for a role which could be an opportunity of a lifetime for the up and coming actress. Watson ecstatically revealed to her fans that she would be playing Belle in Disney’s live-action production of Beauty and the Beast. She could not be better suited to portray this role in that her persona embodies the ideals Disney hopes to represent through not only the character of Belle, but through all of their movies as well.

emma watson fb

Watson recently embarked on a campaign to bring men and women together in supporting the solidarity movement for gender equality. She does not see gender equality as a feminist ideal but one that concerns both halves of humanity.

“It’s time that we all see gender as a spectrum instead of two sets of opposing ideals.” –Emma Watson

Similarly, Watson notably advocates for women finding strength, beauty, and wisdom inside themselves. This is clearly seen through her various roles in film, along with her commitment to the importance of education, as she pursued acting while graduating from Brown University. From playing a brilliant young wizard who is unafraid to show her wit and strength in the hardest of times, to a strong and emotional woman, as Ila in “Noah”, Watson has epitomized the “strong female lead.” Her work in and out of the film industry has helped to propel women forward and to emphasize the role they can play in society and the difference that they can make.

Without a doubt, Emma Watson will be an absolutely spot on representation of Belle, who is an intelligent, strong-willed, and kind-hearted Disney princess. Girls all around the world will now not only see the beauty outside but what matters on the inside as well. By watching the film they can appreciate the importance of character through Emma Watson’s portrayal of courage and dedication as Belle, but also by just learning more about Emma Watson as an individual.

“I truly truly believe that beauty comes from within” – Emma Watson