Happy to be a tree

Senior Megan Byrnes, the 14th ranked recruit of the Class of 2016 for swimming, verbally committed to Stanford University in July this summer. Byrnes said that her choice of attending the university in Palo Alto in the fall was the best for her future, and it was the perfect fit of academics and swimming. Stanford, in her opinion, offers the best academics for her, which was more important than swimming, but it worked out that the Cardinal has a great swim team as well.

Byrnes first visited Stanford in April with Janet Hu, another asset of the Oakton swim team who graduated in 2014, and as she wandered around the campus, she knew that was where she wanted to go. She also went on a biking tour around the campus, and said the campus and pools were beautiful. Before committing to the Cardinal in July, Byrnes’s other choices were Cal, UVA, Texas, Florida, and USC.
Megan met the swim team in April on her first visit, and on a trip two weeks ago. Byrnes describes the team and the coaches as amazing, and some of her favorite people in the world. She is excited for next year, and especially can’t wait for the beautiful weather and “being tan all the time,” said Byrnes.