Black Friday: A Love/Hate Relationship

Black Friday is known as a crazy day full of busy shoppers hunting for the best sales at stores. Some people who are avid black Friday shoppers go every year, and start shopping at midnight that day. People love getting all their holiday shopping done in one day, at the same time as getting great prices on items. On the other hand, people can get very frustrated with long lines, crowded stores, and aggravated people pushing to find the best deals. Black Friday is definitely seen as one of the most hectic days of the year, but it is a fun tradition that the U.S. participates in.

In order to get low prices and still buy good quality items, here are a few tips for going Black Friday shopping this year:

•  Go as early as possible to avoid long lines. This will also ensure that stores don’t run out of a specific item. Malls and department stores are usually the most crowded between around 2-4 p.m., so going earlier in the morning would be ideal.
  • Malls and well-known department stores are generally the best places to find good quality items. Smaller stores that are not as well known usually won’t have great sales.
  • Bring water and food if you will be gone for a long time. People tend to get cranky when they are hungry and thirsty, so bringing nutrition will help to keep you energized throughout the day.
  • Do some research on what you are looking for before you leave. Make a list on your priorities throughout the day, so you can get the important ones done first before it gets too crowded.
  • Bring friends or family to help you divide the work. This will reduce the amount of time you will need because you will have multiple people helping you find items and sales.

Shazmeena Khattak, grade 10, goes Black Friday shopping every year. She and her mom bond over this tradition because they both love shopping and finding good sales. She starts at midnight on Friday to avoid the crazy crowds and locate the best deals. “Usually places like Target or Macy’s, and big department stores have better sales than smaller stores, like American Eagle or Hollister,” said Shazmeena. This evidence from an experienced Black Friday shopper is good advice to plan a shopping strategy. Shazmeena also says that Black Friday usually starts out very well organized, because stores have been preparing for this day for a while. So don’t worry, as long as you go somewhat early, you won’t hit the chaos and stress.

Whether you get around to Black Friday shopping or not, you will still be able to find sales for the next month or so leading up to Christmas and New Year’s. Stores continue to have great deals on items because they want to keep bringing in customers during the whole holiday season. Without a doubt, Black Friday is a widely enjoyed tradition throughout the U.S., and people all over the country have a great time bonding with fellow shoppers or family and finding great items at low prices.