TLOP: is it really giving anyone life?

View of TLOP on Tidal app
View of TLOP on Tidal app

On Feb.13, 2016 , Kanye West dropped his new album, The Life of Pablo, on Tidal. West originally announced that he would be releasing the album on February 11, so when he did not commit to his promise, the standards for the album’s quality rose.

Kanye West performed on Saturday Night Live and premiered his album following the performance. Millions of people were forced to sign up via credit card for Tidal, however new users are not charged until after the first month of using their subscription. West announced that he would never release his album on iTunes or any other media app for that matter. With the release of the album, Tidal rose to the top of the most popular app list in a matter of hours. Expectations were through the roof considering the many different artists featured in the album, however a majority of reactions to the songs proved that the album was not as “godly” as West said it would be.

The most common reaction was that after the first four songs, the album wasn’t all that. “Ultralight Beam”, “Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1 and Pt. 2”, and “Famous” got most of the attention. West had previously released “30 Hours” and “Real Friends” on Soundcloud, therefore many fans didn’t rave about them again. All of the features on the album performed as expected, keeping their general style and character intact despite West’s very influential nature.

One of the main surprises in the album was West’s sampling of a very unknown artist named Desiigner. West is known for his self-creativity and inventing his own music entirely. As it turns out, almost every single song on the album is sampled from another song.

Overall, the album is certainly not as expected for many fans. However, the impact that the songs make on those who listen to them vary per person per life experience. Making a Tidal account just to listen to the album is not necessarily worth it either, especially if you forget to cancel your subscription after a month and receive a charge of $9.99 each following month.