Officer Killed in Action to be Honored with Foot Race

Aidan Kuester

As many OHS students know, last week saw one of the saddest and most serious occurrences within the NOVA area. While responding to a domestic violence call Officer Ashley Guindon was shot and killed, and several of her fellow officers were injured. The sad twist was this was Guindon’s first day on the job, her first shift even. Many residents of the Fairfax area have expressed their remorse and grief, but many are also wondering, what did Guindon do before she became a Police Officer?

The answer is pretty simple: she was a field radio operator with the 4th Marine Logistics Group, joining in 2007 and serving with distinction until 2015, when she left the military to become a police officer. With this career in the Marine Corps behind her, it’s no wonder her loss is felt so widely. This April marks the annual USMC 17.75 kilometer race, an event held by the Marine Corps every year to honor their founding in the year 1775. This year, they have decided to dedicate the race to Officer Guindon, moving the location to Prince William County where she served in an effort to commemorate her sacrifice.

When asked about the decision, Marine Corps Marathon spokesperson Tami Faram said ‘Truly, it just made sense.’ They didn’t stop there. Since the event is completely sold out the Marines have since made sure to add extra race slots for any individuals who knew Officer Guindon and want to run in her honor. The Prince William County P.D. plans to run, and event organizers are still encouraging any who knew Guindon to call the number 703-792-5123 so they may reserve an extra slot.

While what happened in Prince William County last week is truly a tragedy, it is beautiful to see so many people uniting around Officer Guindon and what she stood for. In a time where many Police Officers actions that make the news are less than heroic, it’s important to remember that the vast majority are men and women like Officer Guindon. The 17.75 kilometer race in her honor will be held April 2nd starting near Marine Corps Base Quantico and ending in the same location, featuring Prince William County Forest Park and many other scenic locations in the Manassas/Stafford area.