Circle up, let’s listen to some music

Joe Chey conducting the orchestra during their performance at Oakton for the Oakton Jazz Band and Senior Solo Concert.

In 2011, a club at Oakton had emerged, due to the founders Joe Chey, senior, and Patrick Holcomb,senior. This club, strategically named the Musical Circle, offers a student-led mixed orchestra. With string and wind instruments, it is the only kind of integration of instruments at this school. Being student-led,  the members of the club produce the music, organize the musicians, and run the practices. The club meets every Thursday, in the orchestra room, thanks to Mr. Oppenheimer. This club is unique because, “the concept of student leaders creates a less restraining rehearsal environment, which is enjoyable,” said Chey. By being a member of this group, the students are given the opportunity to showcase their compositional works, which helps them dig deeper into their passion for music. “The choice of success and failure depends on you,” Chey said. Anyone with interest in these types of music groups can join, no matter what level of knowledge they have. However, everyone has to be independent on how determined they are to produce a performance. The orchestra performed at the Cultural Festival last year, and their excitement could not be controlled. This year, the orchestra performed on May 20th in the Oakton Jazz Band and Senior Solo Concert. Their best memories as a club have been when they are able to perform for an audience, because they get to show all their hard work that was put into it.