Swimming for the team

Senior Tommy Hallock competed in four events at states, and came in first for all

photo courtesy of Tommy Hallock

photo courtesy of Tommy Hallock

photo courtesy of Tommy Hallock

What is the best season to do a high school sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
It’s time to get in the zone. Lie down and put on your headphones. Layer up in clothes to get sweaty. Start getting mentally prepared. It’s time to swim.

Senior Tommy Hallock competed in 4 events for the 6A state meet on February 17 at George Mason University Aquatic Center. As a strong freestyler, Hallock competed in the 50 yard freestyle, 100 yard freestyle, 200 free relay, and 400 free relay. Impressively, Hallock walked away from the state meet with a first place in each of the events.

One aspect of the Oakton swim and dive team that Hallock really appreciates is the feel of the team.  According to Hallock, this year the Oakton swim team has really come together.  “We’ve all made a lot more friends, and compared to other schools we’re much more of a team,” said Hallock. He credits some of this team bonding to the Oakton swim coach, Parker Ramsdell. As an, “insanely good coach,” Ramsdell is friendly and helps bring the team together.

The highlight of Hallock’s time as part of the Oakton team would be giving the Braveheart speech at the Robinson meet. “I recited the last 15 lines to the whole team, and it was just a really memorable experience for me,” Hallock said. Also up at the top of the list would be at regionals this past year, where Hallock came from behind during the 400 free relay and won the race. No one really expected it, but due to the strong finish the Oakton team won.

Hallock has been swimming since the age of 4. However, his competitive swimming career didn’t really start until his freshman year. Most week, he lifts 3 to 4 times and swims 5 to 7 times. When asked why he swims, Hallock responded with,  “I swim because it’s a challenge. It gets me up every morning, and it gets me going.”

Since 7th grade, Hallock’s older brother has been helping him train, teaching him new things, and motivating him to improve. He has always been Tommy’s role model- even his choice to swim at Virginia Tech was influenced by his older brother, who is also a Hokie swimmer.

In addition to swimming at Virginia Tech next year, Hallock is planning on studying engineering (possibly aerospace). After college, Hallock believes that his competitive swimming career will probably come to an end. However, Hallock has already become an accomplished swimmer and a name to remember.