Shout out for SRO

Many Oakton students have also been selected to be a part of the highly selective Senior Regional Orchestra.

Many Oakton students who performed in SRO last year are a part of the orchestra this year as well.

Uber competitive. Talent everywhere. Qualified people around every corner. All of these descriptions can be associated with one place. Northern Virginia. While this rigorous environment can make it hard for students to stand out from the rest, this past week the list of musicians a part of the competitive Senior Regional Orchestra (SRO) included 15 students at Oakton.

What is the Senior Regional Orchestra? SRO is an annual orchestra where people from every county in Virginia audition to be a part of four regional orchestras. The top musicians from each school are selected to be a part of the selective orchestra through auditions that occurred in late September. These auditions and included scales, excerpts, and sight reading. According to their score, each musician is ranked and the acceptance list is posted. However, more than just an opportunity to rehearse and perform over the course of three days at the start of November, musicians have the opportunity to bond with people that have similar interests in creating music.

Junior Jay Do has been selected to be a part of SRO for the third year in a row

The main goal of SRO is to prepare for the concert that occurs at the end of the weekend. All musicians are excused from school on Thursday and Friday to attend full day rehearsals. On Saturday, the ensemble spends the morning doing rehearsals, then performs in the afternoon with a concert. The conductor comes from around the US, who is “low key famous”.The different conducting styles and how they work with various sections creates a unique experience, because it’s someone new every year.

Senior Maggie Chen, cellist, has been a part of both the Senior Regional Orchestra and state orchestra since freshman year. This year, she competed against 79 other cellists from one of 14 spots. Starting when she was seven in second grade, Chen has been playing the cello. “My mom is a piano teacher, so music has always been a large part of my life. I’ve been playing the piano since I was three,” said Chen. In addition to the SRO, Chen is a part of the school orchestra, and in the past she has also been a part of American Youthful Philharmonic Orchestra (APYO)Through playing music, Chen has also been able to create a bond with others. Going to orchestra events such as SRO and states, Chen remarks upon the bond that is unique among the music community.

“Finding out I was in SRO again, I was really excited. It’s always a great experience, and after a while you make friends with other people who also usually make it so you get to know people at other schools.”

— Maggie Chen

Junior Jay Do is also a part of SRO this year, although he remarks, “I was pretty surprised, because I didn’t think I did as well on the auditions.” In addition to being a part of SRO since freshman year, Do was also a violist in the state orchestra last year. According to Do, the best part of the entire experience is the friends, but also being able to play with and full ensemble with band, percussion, and chimes in addition to the strings. Do is a part of the Capitol Symphony Orchestra as well. Do has been playing the viola for the past 8 years, and through Do states, “I’ve been able to gain a much more thorough understanding of music in general, and just learn a lot in general.”

The Oakton community is full of a talented musicians, and the number of students from Oakton emphasizes this point. Anyone interested can attend their concert at November 11 at Colgan High School to see many accomplished musicians perform.