Sink, sank, sunk!

A glimpse into what the Oakton performing arts department has in store for the spring musical.

There are few moments in life that truly take our breaths away. The production of Les Misérables at Oakton High School last spring begs to differ. I know I wasn’t the only one in tears after the show. Oakton has a prominent performing arts department, and they’ve lived up to their high esteem countless times over. But how will they top last year’s show?

Last week, the 2018 spring musical was released. After considering a number of renowned pieces such as Urinetown, Drowsy Chaperone, Sweeney Todd, and Company, the performing arts department has finally settled on Titanic.

The performing arts department selected the Titanic based on the skills that Oakton students possess. “We always think about what talent we know we have, and the best way to use that, so that comes into play. And also something that would excite us, as directors, both musically and for performance,” said drama teacher, Mrs. Gelinas.

While the final show in May is still far in the future, the mere framework of the show is enough to ignite excitement. Mrs. Gelinas said, “The music is gorgeous, so I know Mrs. Powell is going to work her magic with the students. She is so talented at getting the harmonies and the sound— the full, rich sound out of our students. I think it’s going to be stunning. And I’m excited for the challenge of creating a ship, and sinking it.”

And I’m excited for the challenge of creating a ship, and sinking it.

— Mrs. Gelinas

Without a doubt, there is plenty more of Titanic to look forward to. However, like all things, the stage is not all play. Hours of unseen preparation and rehearsal are stitched into the fine details of a play. Performers, on and off stage, have plenty of obstacles.

One challenge the stage crew must face this year is the incredibly complex props. After all, the Titanic was not famous for being a small ship. Mrs. Gelinas said, “I mean it’s huge. It’s a huge undertaking and we’re planning on doing some special technical things to make it really special.”

Another aspect that might present a worthy opponent for the performing arts department is the music. As in any Oakton musical, difficult works of music are bound to be present. Mrs. Gelinas said, “It is you know, hard music. But we have such talented students. I think orchestra will have its challenges too, because of the music, but I know that Mr. Oppenheimer was crazy excited about this musical. We wouldn’t take it on if we didn’t think we could do it.”

The music department has long awaited the production of Titanic and so has the rest of the student body. Speculation about the production has trickled through the student network. Word on the street is that the play will not focus on the characters Rose and Jack, and this has been confirmed. Mrs. Gelinas said, “There is no Rose and Jack, this is based on the truth. It’s not the movie. So that’s the thing we have to make sure people know, they are not coming to see the movie Titanic. This is based on the real story. It’s got real characters, real people that were on the ship when it went down.”

In other words, there will be no young Leonardo DiCaprio. The characters Rose and Jack will not be boarding the Titanic this time around. Instead, the audience will be following the accounts of real people who were aboard the ship on April 14, 1912. The musical will be based on real events.

While the show is still being pieced together, it will undoubtedly exceed expectations and join its predecessors in the pages of Oakton history. Alongside appraised Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, long live Titanic!