Fatal car crash left one dead and two injured

Sally Park, Staff Writer

On November 12, a car crash on I-66 occurred at 4 am, leaving one dead and two injured. One injured driver was intoxicated and failed the sobriety test. The driver of the second car was killed and the passenger was left injured. Authorities have discovered the second car flipped over which left one injured and one dead.

Dustin Trans, the intoxicated driver, crashed into the driver of the second car and fled the scene. Tran continued to drive but was then caught by the authorities after a witness spot his damaged car. Alfredo Panameno, a witness of the accident, reported that he spotted a damaged car with all the airbags deployed. He then contacted 911. Panemeno decided to follow the car, despite the dispatcher’s attempt to prevent him from getting too near the SUV. “I was finally able to get in front of the guy to stop him. It seemed like he was very, very disorientated,” he said. The 58 year old driver seemed to be oblivious to the severity of the damage of his car at that time.

Unfortunately, this type of accident is not uncommon in the USA. DUI makes up 29% of reported deaths of all traffic related accidents in America. 10,265 people died in alcohol induced accidents in 2015. DUI cases are relatively frequent and is a popular cause of deaths.

Dustin Trans is currently withheld at Prince William County Adult Detention Center and is charged with DUI and hit and run. The deceased victim’s name remains unreleased by the authorities.