Gun threats cause preemptive fear at the University of Alabama

#PrayersForBama has been trending nationwide on Twitter, a preemptive tribute to something that hasn’t yet happened, and hopefully never will. According to recent developments, the University of Alabama has received a series of threats beginning on Sunday, September 21, that show mass-homicidal intent. An Internet persona by the screen name of “Arthur Pendragon” has left a trail of messages alluding to anger and the possession of assault rifles: a worrisome combination. The first of these was communicated as a comment on a sorority’s YouTube video, talking about a “day of retribution” where students would be targeted and punished.

Students are scared and confused, and the university has taken precautions. Tutwiler Hall– an all girls’ resident hall– was put on total lockdown. Likewise, some other buildings have been surrounded by police forces as a safety precaution.

“I’ll be watching all the frat parties and monitoring all your events. The day is near. Be vigilant.” One message said, followed shortly by another. “Lives will leave the earth in an orderly fashion.”

It would seem that this “shooter” intends to avenge minorities by terrorizing and targeting majorities. Furthermore, there is an emphasis on Greek life, and a plan to punish those who are involved, specifically young women in sororities.

In his messages, he alludes to certain places on campus—for example, Bryce Lawn—plaguing each with the horrific idea that they could potentially become a place of tragedy.

Maddie Conner, an Oakton alum, is among the 31,000 students at the University of Alabama.

According to Conner, very little is known about this online personality. General consensus on campus seems to be in agreement that he is responding to the fact that UA greek life is notorious for allegedly being racist, and that the person sending the threats may have been affected by this in some way.

The Internet is where this chaos began, and is also a means of spreading speculation among students. Apps like Twitter and Yik Yak– a popular social media site that allows users to post anonymously based on location– have been breeding grounds for imaginatively terrifying rumors, claiming that there were people on campus in joker masks, that shootings had occurred, and many others; none of this was true. The administration has attempted to address these rumors, but fears on campus have not been put to rest.

Fellow students at UA are reacting in many ways. “Some of my friends are just ignoring the threats and going on with their lives, while some other friends are going home to New York, Chicago, and North Carolina.” said Conner. “I’m just trying to stay indoors [and in my dorm] as much as possible.”

The University is encouraging students to be safe and vigilant, but to try to go about their lives as normally as possible. While objectively rational, this is easier said than done for many students.

“Overall, I am pretty terrified.” Conner said. “Not feeling safe on your own campus has got to be one of the worst feelings ever. Until this guy is caught, I’m going to stay scared.”

A second threat to students at the University of Alabama from an unidentified Internet personality. Photo courtesy of Maddie Conner.
The first threat made to students at the University of Alabama from an unidentified Internet personality. Photo courtesy of Maddie Conner.
University of Alabama's response to students after the threatening of public safety. Photo courtesy of Maddie Conner.
University of Alabama’s response to students after the threatening of public safety. Photo courtesy of Maddie Conner.