Neuman trucks ahead

Joseph Neuman- US/VA History and Philosophy teacher- is a well-known character throughout the halls of Oakton. Whether performing the rare task of getting sixteen year-olds interested in the situation in Ukraine, offering commentary on the superficial manner in which education is often approached, or talking enthusiastically about his upcoming food truck ventures, Neuman exudes a personality that is anything but conventional. But alas, Neuman is packing up and taking that spirit with him as he chases a passion that has eclipsed even that for teaching: cooking. More specifically, a passion for making people happy via “comfort food,” as he calls his creations.

It all started at his wedding. Neuman decided to do his own catering, and stumbled upon the fact that he has a unique talent for food. Without taking cooking classes or external guidance, Neuman was able to serve (and satisfy) all of his guests. After the wedding, his friends began asking him to cater for their own events, and then friends of those friends began to ask, and so on and so forth. This created a chain reaction until he found himself with a network of eager customers, a dream, and a decision: continue teaching or pursue a career as an entrepreneur in the food industry? He picked the latter.

“Running your own business, there’s a certain level of autonomy that is not available when teaching” said Neuman on the subject of his departure. Leaving teaching has not been an intensely difficult decision for him, complicated only by the pursuit of finances necessary for start-up. As the United States begins to emerge from a recession, many may see a small business start-up as risky. However, this risk is recognized and willing to be faced.

“In any economic climate, if there is a market for [a product], then the business is good” Neuman said. “Even though there are over 300 food trucks in the area, if I have a good product, people will buy it.” For one who plans to tackle a highly competitive market, he radiates a certain confidence that is likely to breed success.

So what is to come ten, fifteen years from now? Hopefully, no more truck.

“The truck is actually a means to an end and a vehicle to having a store front. My goal is to have store fronts that sell really good food, most produced by me. Imagine an upscale Subway: casual, with really good food. Not pretentious, but super high quality,” Neuman said. Like many things, establishing and expanding his business will take Neuman a considerable amount of time if he wants to do it right; and that is okay. He is equipped will a carefully structured plan which will be implemented over the coming years. The first steps include leaving Oakton, preparing his truck and getting out there. Done, done and done.

“I think about the possible fears but then I realize that those aren’t legitimate. Perception is one thing, reality is another,” Neuman said. “Once you realize what that is then your fears go away.”