English Class brings reading at World Book Night

courtesy of Dr. Steele

Book lovers worldwide rejoice. World Book Night, which took place on April 23, is an international celebration for books and reading. Participants get, along with that ever important commodity, free books, the opportunity to bring reading and literature to those who may not have it.

World Book Night began in the UK in 2011, in an attempt to make it so that more adults would read. Respected authors waive the royalties to their books for one night. These books are distributed at libraries in the US, UK, Ireland, and Germany to willing volunteers. These volunteers each receive twenty special copies of a book to distribute to at-risk children, people learning English, and to children at local schools.

The eighth period senior English class of Dr. Paula Steele has been engaged in a project to use World Book Night to help encourage others to read.

“We are the first class doing it, [and] we are the only class doing it,” said Dr. Steele. “We will be giving out 160 books tomorrow.”

The seniors are giving books to an alternative high school, Mountainview High, a women’s shelter, homeless shelter and local elementary schools.

The class has been working to accomplish this ever since the start of the year. “Dr. Steele actually came into the class on one of the first days of school … and she thought it would be good to have as a class project.” said senior Ryan Brennan, a student in the English class.

The students divided up into groups, with each group deciding what books to give, and to whom. The World Book Night organization publishes a list of 35 books that can be found online, and the groups of students tried to match up books with recipients. “We didn’t all get the books that we chose,” said Dr. Steele.

The World Book Night organization manufactures special editions of the books in limited quantities.

Thanks to a group of dedicated seniors, a talented teacher, and a helpful organization, the love to read will be implanted in new people all over the area.