Alexandra Martschenko

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer

Hey, my name is Alexandra Martschenko and I am a senior at Oakton. This is my second year on the staff but I have been involved in the Oakton community through the swimming and crew teams. I enjoy writing about current happenings in the music industry as well as social injustices and events in the NOVA area.

All content by Alexandra Martschenko

Democratic Primaries

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | February 19, 2020

The first half of February has seen political tension brewing in the form of the Iowa Caucus and the New Hampshire Primary. After the debacle of the Democratic Iowa Caucus a lot of pressure was riding...

World War III Turned Tik Tok Spoof

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | January 18, 2020

Recent tensions between Iran and America stemming from Trump’s authorization of the killing of General Suleimani have caused Americans to turn their attention to what their futures might look like. Unsurprisingly,...

The Commercialization of Christmas

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | December 13, 2019

Walk into any big chain store between Black Friday and Christmas and the descent of a beloved holiday into commercialism will be dreadfully evident. With ads portraying the idea that the more expensive...

How to Enjoy Senior Year While Dealing with College Apps

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | September 16, 2019

As the end of your high school career approaches, it can be easy to get caught up in the panic and excitement of college, the future and all the possibilities that await you once you leave Oakton. It's...

Top 5 Underrated Early 2000’s Shows

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | May 6, 2019

Roswell: This angsty teen drama stole the hearts and attention of many fans when its first episode aired in 1999. Perhaps too far in the past for most current Oakton High Schoolers to...

After: Fan-fiction Turned Trainwreck

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | April 30, 2019

If you’re going to watch After with the hopes of seeing a sappy romantic film, go with low expectations. On the other hand, if you’re hoping to see a perplexingly comedic movie with hints of horror...

Sandlot: An American Classic

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | March 11, 2019

The iconic childhood movie, Sandlot, is finally getting the reunion that fans have been demanding for the past twenty-five years. Sandlot was a coming-of-age comedy about a young boy, Scottie Smalls, who...

Top 5 Songs of Our Childhood

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | March 1, 2019

Ten years doesn't sound like a huge amount of time but so many things have happened in that short amount of time that it's important to look back on all the advancements and changes we have seen....

Bandersnatch

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | January 19, 2019

On December 28th, Black Mirror rolled out their first interactive episode, Bandersnatch, which left many viewers intrigued and just a little bit frightened. While this is not Netflix’s first release...

Hellraiser: A Halloween Classic

Hellraiser: A Halloween Classic

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | October 18, 2018

As Halloween approaches, the urge to curl up with a bowl of popcorn and dive into a blood-curdling, nightmare-forging horror movie is steadily growing stronger. Horror movies are the pinnacle of the ‘spooky...

BBC

We Miss the Old Kanye

Alexandra Martschenko, Staff Writer | October 9, 2018

When you think of rap music, you typically think of some of the biggest names in the business; Drake, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, and of course, Kanye West. All are very influential, very rich, and most...

Load More Stories
Alexandra Martschenko