Lockers: Convenience Vs. Inconvenience

Are Lockers Necessary?

Lockers: Convenience Vs. Inconvenience

For many of us, high school represents a new chapter in our lives. It is a time of meeting new people and forging new friendships. High school means having to become accustomed to a larger school. You have to acclimate to a new environment, and be patient as you learn your new schedule. While doing so, you begin to figure out how you can
access your locker and when you have time to do so. Everyone at Oakton carries their backpacks around with them; hardly anyone ever uses their lockers. It could be because their lockers are not convenient to their classes or there may be no time in between classes to access them. The real question is, are lockers irrelevant to students at Oakton?

In my personal experience, lockers became a struggle to access starting in sixth grade. I was never able to keep my locker clean and organized.  With my locker in a state of disarray, I was prone to losing papers and the papers I didn’t lose would become wrinkled, crushed, and ripped.  Having an organized locker was, in many ways, mandatory in order to succeed in middle school. However, in high school, lockers are hardly ever used, especially if students don’t take part in after school activities, like sports. Since students don’t have a real reason to put things in their locker, they don’t.

graph-for-journalism

Poll of 9 students at Oakton High School

Based on the above poll, we can conclude that most people either don’t use their locker at all or access it occasionally. The average number of times a student accesses their locker daily is about zero to two times. I find this intriguing because lockers aren’t normally near student’s classes. When students go to their lockers, they often feel rushed to get to class on time.

To sum it up, lockers are not used by many students. Rather, they appear to be more practical for those who are involved in sports. For now, they are able to store equipment and clothes without the items taking up excessive space in classrooms. Once the sports season ends, many won’t use their locker with the same amount of frequency.  

Lockers: Convenience Vs. Inconvenience

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.