EOL Presentations

Even though school’s out, we can still hear from these students who are sharing their passions

Art by Sarah Naidich

The EOL. An exhibition of learning. A presentation aiming to allow students to share their passions. While many students don’t take the EOL seriously because many teachers don’t attach grades to it, it is a good way to present something you are passionate about. Here are some students who love and are invested in what they previously planned to present.

Spencer Dearman (10)

EOL topic Cooking/baking cultural foods and more complicate pastries

When did you start? I started cooking when I was four years old with the help of my mom and began baking more when I was eight or nine years old. 

Why did you choose to present this for your EOL? It has taught me a lot about patience and close reading because complicated recipes need to be analyzed for specifics. If you don’t do it correctly, you can make a mistake.

What is the most challenging part of baking? Being patient because sometimes you just want to finish it.

What do you enjoy most about baking? The wide variety it can bring and how many things you can make. There is so much creativity and ways to make new foods and new pastries, it’s a very active community.

What do you want people to take away from your EOL? It’s okay if it doesn’t turn out the first time, but if you keep trying it’ll eventually go your way.

Sarah Naidich (10)

EOL topic Digital art, specifically digital painting and illustration

When did you start? I started this style of art in the sixth grade.

Why did you choose to present this for your EOL? I like illustration and I want to pursue it in the future. I’m interested in the field of concept art where artists design what films and games are going to look like.

What is the most challenging part of painting? Planning. Thinking of a good idea and a good composition (the layout of the piece) and a good sketch. Also choosing the colors, depending on the piece.

What do you enjoy most about painting? I’m a very visual person. I like designing characters and rendering different materials.

What do you want people to take away from your EOL? I want people to experience an introduction to a new medium of art (digital art). I want them to gain an appreciation for art and that it takes a lot of work to make good art and it’s actually very competitive to be successful. It’s hard work and you need to practice and put in the effort because it doesn’t come naturally.

View Naidich’s artwork in the gallery above.