Sexual Assault Awareness

Sexual Assaultany act of sexual contact on one person by another; without mutual consent, or with the inability of the individual to give consent.

Every 68 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted, whether they be an adult, or a student (RAINN). Sexual Assault is one of the most significant problems faced within the education system, although it has a relatively simple solution. This occurs within FCPS, and within Oakton High School, however, it is normalized within the system, which may make it hard to recognize.

Why?

Although Sexual Assault may not seem like a significant problem within the system to non-victims, it affects the victim for life. Increased chances of mental illnesses, such as PTSD, and Major Depressive Disorder occur within them (RAINN). In addition, the majority of these victims do not have access to proper counseling, or support from those around them. This leads to a life-long remembrance of suffering for the victim and does not go away. An example of this was within Oakton High School in 2018 when a girl had been sexually assaulted on a band trip. When it occurred, the school system and court had mostly brushed her off and left the assaulter with nothing. This hurt her for years to come, until four years later she decided to reopen her case. This shows how this doesn’t leave a victim, which makes this such a significant problem for not only students’ mental health but physical well-being as well.

What Can You Do?

National Sexual Assault Hotline – 800-656-4673

• If someone shares their story, listen to what they have to say- Do not ignore it.
  • If you see someone being assaulted, or who looks uncomfortable, step in; redirect the assaulter, or take the victim away.
  • Keep yourself safe and ask for help.
  • Stand up for those around you.