Prom through the ages

Prom has been a memorable high school moment for years on end. Here’s a look at some prom memories from Oakton’s teachers.

Mr. Fowler

“My prom was exactly the same as the usual Oakton prom. However, a guy would just ask a girl with flowers; there were no extravagant askings with posters. The guys got their tux rented and the girls got their prom dresses. Just like nowadays, the girls took off from school to get ready. Prom was the place to be. My prom memory is probably my hair. I had an afro.”

fowler prom

Ms. Buchholz

“I went to Pennsbury High School and the prom and art committees would come together to create murals that were put around the entire school. The school would completely transform into whatever the year’s theme was. Then there would be a parade to enter prom with multiple floats. It was a really cool experience. There was a hyptonist and even John Mayer and Asher Roth performed at the school prom in different years. Someone pretty big always played. It was an extravagant event each year.”

JR Prom Picture

Mr. McCulla

“Since I went to a really small high school with only around 60 students in each class, you had to ask a girl to prom in October to get a good date. So a girl and I agreed to go to prom together and in the months that preceded prom, I ended up dating her cousin. Oops. We still went to prom together. I took her to a quick dinner, dropped her off to prom and never saw her again. So how was prom? Definitely an unforgettable night.”

mcculla prom

Prom in one sentence

“Yeah, I have some great prom stories… nothing I’m willing to share.”

Erich Heckel | English

“Prom? It was low-key.”

Brent Weiss | History

“My date stood me up.”

Erica Mirabello | Math

“I didn’t go to prom.”

Peter Rothfleisch | Physics

“It was fun to dance the night away and open a new chapter in life towards graduation and beyond high school.”

Michael Greene | Marketing

“My date looked exactly like the Taco Bell dog.”

Kristi Layman | Spanish