New Year, Old Traditions

Everyone has their pre-game rituals and traditions. Erik McIntosh, grade 12, and Hanna El Mohandess, grade 11, share the rituals of the Oakton High School Drama program.

The Pulse

A ritual that takes place in the green room, The Pulse is where everyone forms a circle, crosses their arms, and hold hands. A pulse of an excited squeeze of hands is passed around the circle. “[The Pulse] is meant for you to also kind of stay calm because it’s a lot of tension before we go on in a big production,” says McIntosh.

Pre-game Pep Talk

Happening simultaneously to the Pulse, Drama teacher Mrs. Gelinas gives a short motivational speech to the entire cast to encourage and hype up the actors. “It’s really calming and nice,” says El-Mohandess.

Post-Show Pancakes

As a celebration of the success of the show, the entire cast goes to IHOP for a breakfast/dinner combination meal, “because it’s normally the am by that time,” says McIntosh. It’s a good way for the cast to further bond and say their final goodbyes to the production.

The Danny Zuko Challenge

This more recent tradition was started by Raphy Ortiz, Class of 2014, when he played the role of Danny Zuko in Oakton’s production of “Grease.” While at IHOP, the cast goes around and puts some type of food substance in the drink of the person chosen to take on the challenge. “By that point, it’s not any one thing, it’s like a disgusting potent mix of everything that comes out of an IHOP sink,” recalls McIntosh. To complete the challenge, the chosen person must finish off the entire drink.