Cell Phones: A Valuable Learning Resource or a Distraction to the Learning Environment?

Cell phones can be seen as a distraction to students’ learning, but they can also be seen as a valuable learning resource. Whether teachers allow use of technology in the classroom or not, most students continue to go on their phones. In a poll asking 30 teachers whether they allow cell phones or not, 12 teachers said yes – only 40 percent. Some teachers have more strict rules and would like for students to focus more on their work than their cell phones.

Mr. Benjamin Kaplan, a World History 1 teacher, said that he lets his students use their cell phones during class. “I let my students use cell phones for listening to music to focus, and it gives them a level of comfort,” said Mr. Kaplan. He feels his students are old enough and mature enough to determine when the right time to use their phones is, so he gives them the privilege of using them at any time during the class (excluding quiz/test times).

In this age of technology, cell phones in the classroom are a becoming a regular part of the learning environment, for many reasons:

1. Listening to music often helps students concentrate on tasks, like individual assignments.

2. Having their phones with them provides a sense of relaxation and comfort for the students.

3. Cell phones can be used valuably for classroom activities, like QR Code assignments or research for a project.

4. Students can use their phones to take pictures of important notes that they can later study on their phone.

5. Many students put reminders in their phones or type assignments in their calendars – they use their phones as a digital agenda.

Students were asked if they think using their cell phones in the classroom is helpful, and most students said yes. Deanna Dixon, grade 10, believes that cell phones are extremely useful to use in the classroom, and that teachers should let students use them for not only classroom activities, but also in their leisure time. Students and teachers both believe cell phone use should be allowed, so will teachers begin to change their minds?