Movie Review: SPECTRE

James Bond, at this point, is essentially an institution, rather then a movie franchise. Every movie, with the exception of a rare few, hits the same main points — the cool car, the fancy gadgets, the dressing-down from M or Q, and the dramatic end scene where he does things that aren’t quite school appropriate with the Bond girl of the year. Oh, there may be Roger Moore, or Pierce Brosnan, rather then Sean Connery or Daniel Craig, but the basic structure of the movie remains the same.

SPECTRE, at its core, is simply that formula taken to its logical conclusion. It hits all those same beats, but hits them so well that no one minds at all. The movie acts as a wrap-up for the three previous Craig-Bond movies (Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, and Skyfall) touching on plot elements from all three, along with reintroducing a classic Bond villain from earlier years. Daniel Craig delivers his usual taciturn performance, but the real show is stolen by Christoph Waltz’s performance as [SPOILERS] Ernst Blofeld, who unashamedly and gloriously hams it up as the traditional maniacal villain. All in all, SPECTRE refines and polishes the Bond formula to deliver a polished product for the modern age.

8/10

SPECTRE is now in theaters.