Is Ice Nice?

The cold weather gives us both hopes and doubts of the coming snow days and excitement or dread showers both the students and teachers. However just the work of meteorologists is not enough to make school close.

Superstitions became more prominent than ever when the winter season comes around. Students express that they drop ice cubes in the toilet, put spoons under their pillow, and wear their pajamas inside out. Excitement and anticipation is all students feel when they wake up for school to see there’s snow outside. Junior Catherine Hiu says, “Snow days are the best because then I get time off.” Many students agree with this, arguing that the day off gives them time to relax, to catch up in class, or to focus on their extracurriculars or interests. As many Oakton students participate in competitions over the weekend (i.e. speech and debate tournaments, robotics, computer science, etc.), the day off lets students prepare for competitions. Aside from working, students get the opportunity to take their minds off from school, and can catch up on their TV shows, play in the snow, or just sleep.

Although this may be true, some students prefer going to school rather than staying at home. Junior Harin Ok says, “Snow days are terrible. They leave students unproductive, they don’t learn stuff, and AP exams are zooming in.” Students who take many AP classes are forced to self-teach themselves the material to be able to be prepared for the AP exams. Missing AP classes overwhelms students especially because of the fast-paced class style.

After speaking to teachers, AP teachers say that the snow days are overwhelming for them too, especially because they have to find a way to fit in all the material in other days, and shift their schedules but still have students be ready in time for AP exams. Other teachers also express similar issues, but all in all, everyone enjoys that break. Although the stress may come later on for both the teachers and the students, more sleep and time for themselves is something everyone wants.