Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Oakton students provide their opinion on the holidays

Pie or Cookies? Pumpkins or Evergreens? The heated debate between Thanksgiving and Christmas continues. Supporters of Thanksgivings argue that the holiday is pushed aside by stores who want to market their Christmas products. Christmas enthusiasts insist that the Christmas Spirit is one of a kind and irreplaceable. A few Oakton students have provided their views on the holidays.

In Support of Thanksgiving

Maggie Mark said, “I like Thanksgiving because I get to reunite with my family and eat good food. Also, it’s less commercialized than Christmas.”

Mark brings up an important point. Thanksgiving is one of the most genuine holidays with no big emphasis on getting but instead appreciating. Furthermore, it is a chance to reunite and appreciate your family without all the hype of Christmas. Many families have their reunions during this holiday and it gives families a chance to reunite. The gift of your loved ones is irreplaceable and creates a special aura around the day. The warm turkey cooked with love and the candles lighting the kitchen let off a homey feel, something other holidays cannot capture. The simple joy of giving thanks makes the holiday unique and special. Furthermore, it is not over commercialized which helps keep the holiday pure.

In Support of Christmas

Sitara Sastry said, “I prefer Christmas because I feel there is more family time because the break is longer, and it gives me happy good vibes! Also, it is close to New Years.”

Many students can sympathize with Sastry’s viewpoint. The longer break grants the much needed relief for stressed students. Furthermore, it provides students with enough time to fully catch up on sleep, a feeling most students only feel two times a year, during winter break and summer. Additionally, the Christmas

Season is generally more festive. With stores glowing with warm Christmas lights and sparkling ornaments adorning the windows, it is hard not to feel the Christmas spirit. Furthermore, the light-hearted Christmas music played over the radio stirs excitement across the country as the holiday approaches. Finally, its proximity to New Year’s helps promote kindness and generosity as many begin to reflect on the past year and their plans for the upcoming one. Overall, the joyous Christmas spirit captures many hearts creating an almost magical holiday.

The Winner?

Whether Christmas or Thanksgiving is better is all up to you. If you enjoy the vibrant colors of fall, the sweet taste of pumpkin, and a simple but sincere holiday, then you probably are more suited for Thanksgiving. If you enjoy merry music, festivities, and curling up by the fire on a cold night to read by the light of your Christmas tree, than Christmas is most likely better for you. No matter which holiday is your favorite, there is something to love and cherish about both.