What’s going on?

Plans and big upcoming events at Oakton

February is approaching and Valentines plans are already being made. After homecoming, word has spread that there was a possibility of a Sadies dance, a dance where a girl has to ask a guy out. These rumors spread fast, however they remained only rumors, but now we finally have answers. After many students voted on whether or not this dance would be a good idea, “What we found out from sadies is that a majority of the students weren’t actually planning on attending. We felt that it was a good start to get the word out about sadies for coming years, but this year we just wanted to put that idea out there to see if students would like it,” said  Mr. McCulla, leadership teacher.

For those who are curious, leadership is an elective, that you must apply for, where a group of passionate students come together to make a positive change in Oakton High School. Leadership plans events such as the homecoming dance, Prom, and all of our pep rallies. So just because the Sadies dance will not be happening this year, doesn’t mean there aren’t many more events coming up. This saturday, January 27th, there will be an elementary movie night, where elementary school students can come to Oakton High School with their families to watch The Incredibles. One of the events planned by leadership that many look forward to snapchatting is the winter sports pep rally on February 23rd, “That’s going to be a celebration of our winter sports athletes, and for the first time, it’s going to be also a celebration of spring sports that traditionally get overlooked due to testing such as AP tests and SOLs, ” said Mr. McCulla. There is also a plan for a Spring field day during a weekend where there may be a possible student vs faculty soccer game, more details on that will be available on the morning announcements.

No matter what your opinion was about the Sadies dance, you can look forward to fun events happening in the upcoming months. And if you would like to join leadership next year and make a positive impact in our high school, you may pick up an application form in Mr. McCullas room (228). Maybe next year we can all look forward to a Sadies dance along with many other events that make school so much more enjoyable.