Freshmen Reactions to the Algebra 2 Group Test

What freshmen think about the group test.

The freshmen at Oakton are still getting used to life in high school, which can be difficult. Freshmen in Algebra 2 have been met with another new: group testing. Two weeks ago, Algebra 2 classes took a test in which they worked on with other students at their table. While this concept might have seemed foreign, it is an important skill to learn as you head into high school and further. This understandably seemed  like a welcome change to the usual testing done at school as it allowed you to collaborate with your peers. The questions were fairly simple, but this was still was a great way for the students to enhance collaboration skills. Students were very happy with this new addition to their school day because it provided a break in the repetitiveness of the normal school day.

Ryan Odell, a freshman, said, “I thought the group test was a great way to connect with my peers and collaborate with my group.” This seems to be the consensus, as all freshmen that were asked had positive reactions to the group test. Another Freshman, Adith Chandrasekaran, said, “This was really cool and interesting. It really was a welcome change of pace to the normal way of testing.” Tables are changed every quarter, so students will be forced to work with new people every group test. This will allow students to improve their social skills and meet new people. 

Group testing is a fun and helpful addition to any school curriculum. It can be used as a way for students to meet each other and work on their collaboration skills. It also is a break from the sometimes slow routine of individual test taking.  Group testing is a great way to help with stress reduction.