The Premier League is Back

Red Cards, Hat Tricks, and Goals Galore
The Premier League is Back
Zaynab Hasan

This poll has ended.

Who will win the 2023-2024 Premier League?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Will the 2023-2024 Premier League season be a historic one? Manchester City is aiming to become the first club ever to win four titles in a row. So far, as the pundits predicted, they occupy the top spot. Arsenal, last time’s runners-up, have dropped down to fourth place.

Oakton students are following the results from across the pond with great anticipation. Rafael, a sophomore, proudly wears his Argentina jersey in honor of former City player, Sergio Aguero. He believes that Arsenal may get “extremely close to winning the Prem,” but Manchester City is “just way too strong.” Junior Anvitha agrees, telling the Oakton Outlook that “Man City will probably dominate” while Arsenal may “bottle it” again.

It has been a tumultuous start to the season, with dismissals and goals galore. There were eight red cards over Matchdays 2 and 3 alone and several last-minute winners. Liverpool, picking up a red card for Captain Virgil Van Dijk, pulled off a late comeback against Newcastle with two spectacular efforts from substitute Darwin Núñez. Fans were uproarious when Arsenal defeated Manchester United after a disallowed goal from Alejandro Garnacho was followed by two goals in injury time from new transfer Declan Rice and Gabriel Jesus.

Although Manchester United “is not doing so well” after their first few matches, Landon, a junior, supports his idol Cristiano Ronaldo’s former club. He confidently says, “We’ll get top five.”

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the table, Luton Town, Burnley, and Sheffield United were the three lucky clubs promoted to the Premier League at the end of last season. Yet, they all currently languish in the lower ranks alongside Everton.

At an individual level, several players are achieving great feats just weeks in. Bournemouth’s David Brooks bagged his first PL goal against Brentford after beating cancer. Manchester City’s Rodri holds the top spot for both the most touches and number of passes, per official data. Plus, West Ham’s Lucas Paquetá has won 16 tackles, more than anyone in the league.

Three players secured three dazzling hat tricks all on the same day — September 2nd. Manchester City’s Norwegian star striker Erling Haaland against Fulham. Brighton’s Irish forward Evan Ferguson against Newcastle United. And Tottenham Hotspur’s South Korean captain, Son Heung-Min, against Burnley. 

Heung-Min inherited the captaincy from England legend Harry Kane, who left Spurs for Bayern Munich during the Premier League transfer window last month. The summer transfer window saw English PL teams collectively spend almost $3 billion on new players — and breaking last year’s spending record in the process. Chelsea alone paid out more than $500 million, including $140 million on Ecuadorian midfielder Moisés Caicedo — yet they currently sit in 14th place in the league. 

Money, perhaps, doesn’t buy success. Though big-spending reigning champions Manchester City, backed by the deep pockets of the United Arab Emirates, may disagree. Right now, in a surprising twist, a second-placed, Kane-less Spurs are keeping City on their toes. 

As Anvitha, junior, points out, “Every game is different, and anything could happen.” The Premier League this season, she says, is no “farmers league.”