Legacy of Coach Priester and Oakton Girls Basketball

Success can be defined in many different ways.

Whether by wins, a style, a roster, or simply by the coach, Coach Priester has been coaching basketball for 44 years. The most important thing to get out of games is not to win but to try to win. When it comes to losses, the most important thing to turn to is trying to increase the team’s limits. Longevity in coaching is one of the most important things to look at when it comes to success within an athletic program. Priester has consistently found success with his teams, whether from the players on his roster or the mentors and coaches he has had.

Kaleb Steele

Team culture is a significant factor when it comes to success. From team dinners and fundraising to simply bringing donuts after Saturday practices, all of these things bring the team together, regardless of age. Another thing that brings the team together is every player knowing their role and what to do down the stretch of the game. In many different games throughout this season, the team rarely gets complacent when they get hit by adversity. Yes, winning every game isn’t theoretically possible, but the girls always know to fight to the end, no matter the game’s circumstances.

800 wins is a very significant milestone, but Priester is always focused on getting that next one and building that win total. Consistently having great players and assistant coaches down the stretch of Priester’s coaching career is essential to hitting this milestone. Losing isn’t something that Priester takes too well. He takes it personally. He believes losing shows that he didn’t give his players enough opportunities to go down and win the game. The most crucial game is the next game, along with winning and losing. 

Having an impact on sports is always great, especially in a sport like girls’ basketball. Star women’s basketball players such as Caitlin Clark bring a whole other level to the sport of not just girls’ basketball but basketball. Priester believes that people who change the game deserve a lot of credit, especially if they have people from other sports looking up to that person. When talking about star Iowa Hawkeye guard Caitlin Clark, Priester stated, “Those kinds of things that she does have made the public embrace her and the sport embrace her. It’s good for the game; It’s really important for girls to have those role models.” 

Photo Courtesy of Gazette Leader

Priester believes that his counseling skills have helped him out as a coach. He knows when to step in and put his foot down. As well as knowing when to step in and give them positive feedback. Priester knows when to show his players that he cares about them, and his players know that he does care about them. Inspiring others is one of the biggest things that Priester tries to accomplish with his players. The years left in coaching are to be determined, but Preister believes he has a couple of good years left. However, staying with something you love makes it hard to walk away, especially when having constant success and many achievements. 

At the moment, the Cougars are starting the state tournament tonight after losing in the Regional finals. However, they accomplished a nice task this season by winning the Concorde District.