Eager for college? No, AVID for college.

Everyone has ups and downs in their life where they don’t quite know how to move forward. No one is alone in this. Whether it be in school or at home, there are solutions. AVID is just one example, a class where students are prepared for college and life afterward when they don’t know what to do.

What is AVID?

Advancement Via Individual Determination, that’s what AVID stands for. As Profe Goodwin said, it’s essentially a class to help students “achieve their post-graduation goals.” That could include working, college, gap years, and anything else someone may do once they finish high school. One way they do this is by ensuring students work for the advanced diploma as a class requirement. Profe Goodwin goes on to explain that teachers of AVID focus on ensuring students are “pushing themselves to take rigorous classes here at high school.” They don’t, however, leave you alone to figure out the process; they offer support and help along the way.

JMU Visit

College tours are among the best experiences they give their students. They typically go on two per year, each year having different schools to visit. This time, they started with JMU. “The school was nice, big, and the food was good,” said Emily San Jose, one of the students who visited the college. She even said they had a “chocolate milk club.”

AVID Students on their JMU Visit
photo by Abdullah Adnan (12)
left to right: Chelsea Connelly, Firnas Elamir, Angie Harned, Abdullah Adnan

According to Profe Goodwin, they “typically give…an information session,” later giving a tour around the school. In those tours, students saw a replica of the dorms, learned about clubs, and spent some time in the food court.

Overall

At the end of the day, it’s a person’s own decision on what classes to take or what schools to visit. Even so, college tours such as the one to JMU are useful for Juniors and Seniors. So, research, explore, and eventually, everyone will find the best place for them.