Cheers to Cohen

A farewell to a changemaker

In the quiet corridors of the FCPS administrative building, a chapter is coming to a close. After years of dedicated service, Springfield District representative Laura Jane Cohen has announced her departure, leaving behind a legacy of transformation and commitment to student well-being.

For Cohen, one of the highlights of her tenure was the renaming of Lee High School. As a symbolic gesture, it marked a departure from a contentious history and a step towards a more inclusive and forward-thinking educational environment.

In an exclusive interview, Cohen shared her thoughts on how to stay connected with the community post-departure. With her child still enrolled in FCPS, she plans to remain actively involved, occasionally substituting as a teacher and acting as a resource for both current and new school board members.

Offering advice to new board members, she encourages spending as much time as possible in schools, engaging with students, and taking advantage of opportunities to witness the impact of their decisions firsthand.

One of her strategies for effecting change was to focus on small victories. By addressing issues such as overcrowded bus stops or advocating for policy changes related to sexual harassment under Title IX, Cohen aimed to make a difference one student at a time. The school should not “let the kids down,” she asserted, emphasizing the responsibility of the board to ensure a safe and supportive learning environment.

When asked about her inspiration for joining the board, Cohen recalled a powerful moment. A former member suggested that teachers “should be armed if they wanted to”, sparking her determination to make a positive impact on school safety. Cohen comes from a background working with Moms Demand Action and Sandy Hook, even getting classroom doors in elementary schools. Cohen, upon hearing an “adult in a position of power” so “out of touch not only on guns” but also actively demonizing LGBTQ kids, felt an urgent call to action, propelling her into a school board position.

In recounting her time on the school board, Cohen openly acknowledged the moments of fear and vulnerability that marked her journey. Admitting to occasional tears and trepidation, she emphasized that such emotions were not a sign of weakness but a testament to the genuine investment in the community’s well-being. Her authenticity, evident even in moments of visible emotion, became a powerful tool that connected her with the community, reminding everyone that leadership is about understanding, empathizing, and authentically caring for the challenges faced by those she served.

As Cohen steps away from her role, her legacy includes not only policy changes but also the invaluable lesson that leadership is strongest when rooted in authenticity. The vulnerability she shared underscored that true power lies not in invulnerability but in the genuine connection forged through empathy and a sincere commitment to the community’s welfare.

“Your voice is your power,” she asserted, reflecting on her journey from apprehension to activism. Her message to the community and new board members alike is clear: take advantage of opportunities, speak out against injustice, and remember that collective efforts can bring about meaningful change.

As Cohen bids farewell, the echoes of her advocacy and dedication resonate in the halls of FCPS. Her departure leaves behind a legacy of progress, reminding everyone that the pursuit of a better education system is a collective responsibility—one that requires continued dedication and a commitment to the well-being of every student.